Replacement License Plates

In case you have lost or damaged your Utah License Plates or registration stickers you may request a replacement. The replacement application must be completed in person at the nearest clerk’s office. If one of the decals has remained bring that one with you.

Application For Replacement

Actually, you have to immediately report a loss or damage to your license plates to avoid fines and penalties. You'll need the following items to replace your number tags:
  • Filled in and signed out an application form.
  • A police report, if you discovered your decals were stolen.
  • The remaining number tag, if available.
  • Cheques of required payments.
You have to visit the nearest office, fill in a request form online or send the required documents for the replacement.

To apply online…

To apply online, you have to enter the UT Department of Motor Vehicles Portal and sign in. Later you have to fill in the required info and details to order a new decal.
However, before you start processing the request it’s actually recommended to check and have the following documents ready:
  • Vehicle’s license plate number during the process you will need the last 3 digits of your VIN.
  • Get ready your bank account and cards as there may be applicable fees and charges.
  • Have your Driver’s ID with you.
Also, you have to check if you are eligible to complete the application online. Only registered owners may undergo the online request processing.

If you pay a visit…

In case you have decided to visit the nearest office to handle the processes, you have to take the following documents with you:
  • Valid ID or passport
  • Driver’s ID
  • Police report, if applicable
  • Remaining number tag
  • Proof of residency and ownership
You will have to fill in a request form and surrender the current plates. You will be charged also some state-approved fees.

By Mail Orders

Actually, Utah lets you order a new decal and registration sticker via mail. As it may take a bit longer, please calculate your time beforehand to see if it’s a convenient option for you. To receive your new tags by mail, you must first send the following records:
  • First of all, get ready the ownership certificate.
  • Include your proof of residency.
  • Print out, complete, and sign the application form.
  • Attach the remaining decal.
  • Submit the required fee cheques. Note that cash won’t be accepted.
If no address is provided on the form, send the package to:
Division of Motor Vehicles Mail and Correspondence
P.O. Box 30412
Salt Lake City, UT 84130